Friday, October 26, 2012

Bittersweet Reading

Captain America (2011) 10
Marvel Comics
Ed Brubaker, writer
Alan Davis, artist




I have thoroughly enjoyed Ed Brubaker's run on this title. I came in late during the first Winter Soldier arc and had to seek out copies of the first few issues wherever I could find them. (Thankfully, I wasn't coming in too late to the party, and a local comic shop in my area, Hawg Head Comics, was able to get me set up with what I'd missed; thanks, Mike!)

Anyway, I've been with Brubaker since the beginnings of the rehabilitation of Bucky, the death and replacement of Cap, the return of Cap, the maskless Steve Rogers, the short period of time when Cap and Bucky shared the mantle, and now finally these wonderful arcs with rotating artists as the one, true Cap again wears the star-spangled uniform alone.

The bulk of Brubaker's run has also had more of an espionage feel to it that suits Captain America just as much as being a superhero because he is a soldier. Paired with Nick Fury, Sharon Carter and S.H.I.E.L.D., Cap's adventures should have more of a spy feel to them. Now with this most recent relaunch of the title, Brubaker has brought things full circle, making the Cap stories without Bucky, Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. more straight superhero adventuring. Cap works well in both settings, especially with Brubaker at the helm.

This issue brings the most recent arc, Powerless, to a close as Cap, Sharon and the Falcon finally defeat the new Queen Hydra and Machinesmith, restoring Cap back to full power and overcoming the effects of the madbombs the villains were using on the populace. The ongoing plot running through all 10 issues of this relaunch so far involves a former World War II ally of Cap's turned villain named Bravo. Bravo is a time-displaced hero much like Cap, but rather than spending the intervening years in suspended animation as Cap did, Bravo was helplessly stuck in another dimension. He blames Cap for that situation and is back trying to wreak revenge on the Avenger.

All of this makes for thoroughly enjoyable reading, as I said before, so why "bittersweet?" Because I know that in less than 10 more issues, Brubaker's run will be coming to a close. I will miss this title once he is no longer at the helm, and each wonderful new issue brings that end that much closer.

No comments: