Sunday, October 21, 2012

Back To The Basics

Daredevil by Mark Waid tpb Vol. 1 (collecting issues 1-6)
Marvel Comics
Mark Waid, writer
Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin, artists





I'd heard good things about the Mark Waid-helmed relaunch of Daredevil and decided to try out the first trade collection when it arrived. Now that I have, I can honestly say that it is NOT the best thing I've ever read, but it was a very fun and entertaining read.

That's saying a lot for a character who had gone down such a dark path of late. I'd read and enjoyed a lot of Brian Michael Bendis' run with the character, and continued to follow the title and enjoy it through Ed Brubaker's run, but then Andy Diggle took over, and it was just getting too dark for my tastes, and I dropped the book. That's why I didn't sample the Waid issues when they first came out. I didn't know about his new direction and had simply had enough dark.

Waid's run on DD is NOT dark. He explains this in-story as being Matt Murdock's answer to all of the dark craziness in his life of late. The character is making a conscious effort to lighten up and have some fun with life. That's not to say Daredevil is a funny, comedy style book now. Not really when the first arc involves the sound villain Klaw trying to resolidify his body by possessing DD. Also not when DD takes on all of the major criminal organizations in the Marvel Universe at once in the second arc. There is real threat and real danger here. But the Man Without Fear is choosing to face these threats with a smile on his face and an appreciation for being alive when he triumphs, as we all know he ultimately will.

I hear Waid's take on the character has been so successful that he plans to use the same approach to writing a relaunched Hulk title later this year. Comics that are fun to read ... I may just have to get on board for that trend!

No comments: