Tuesday, August 12, 2014

That Worked Out Nicely

The Twilight Zone Vol. 1: The Way Out
Dynamite Entertainment

J. Michael Straczynski, writer
Guiu Vilanova, artist




Last time, I touted the idea of trying new books by borrowing them from the library instead of buying them. It's a great way to cut down on the comics budget, and you can always go back and buy a copy later if you like it enough after reading it to want to own it. But that certainly doesn't mean to ignore a good bargain when you find one, either.

I recently took my nephew on a comic shopping trip out of town to visit some comics stores we don't typically visit due to distance. I hadn't planned to buy anything specific myself on this trip; it was mainly at the request of my nephew. But at one of the stores we visited, I found a pretty good deal on a book I'd planned to request from the library in a few months.

I've always liked "The Twilight Zone" television program, and when it was announced several months ago that Dynamite Entertainment and J. Michael Straczynski were going to produce some licensed comics based on the concept, I was curious. I have read and enjoyed a number of books in the past written by Straczynski, especially when he is working with original characters and ideas. The Twilight Zone is a licensed comic, but not really involving pre-existing characters, so this title would certainly fit into my preferred Straczynski-reading category.

And this trade did NOT disappoint!

"The Way Out" collects the first four issues of The Twilight Zone series telling a complete story of a crooked financial executive who is about to be indicted for his crimes. Seeking a way out, he finds an agency that offers to give him a new identity, a new appearance, an entire new life to escape punishment for his crimes. And the man is quite happy with the deal until it becomes obvious that someone else has stepped into his old life as he stepped out of it. Some of the twists in the story are more obvious than others, but the entire tale is an enjoyable read.

A while back, I criticized another trade for not giving me a satisfying chunk of story. That is not a problem here even though this trade collects fewer single issues than that one did. Straczynski's story has something more going for it to boot. It is obvious that some of the supporting characters in the main story in this trade also have some very strange things going on in their lives. Presumably, their stories will be explored in more detail in future issues of this series. But rather than making the main story seem incomplete, these other situations feel more like a bonus that will pay off later.

If you've wondered about giving this series a try or hadn't heard about it before, I very much recommend it. You'll be glad you gave it a chance. I know I was!

No comments: