Tuesday, February 26, 2013

They Were Keeping Things Close To The Vest

Huntress: Crossbow at the Crossroads tpb
DC Comics
Paul Levitz, writer
Marcus To, artist




I opted to pass on this six-issue limited series when it debuted early in the beginning of the DCnU. It was a victim of my new scaled-back buying habits. I don't dislike the Huntress character. I'm very fond of her original incarnation as the daughter of the Earth 2 Batman and Catwoman. (The creator of this character is Levitz, by the way.) I'm less fond of the post-Crisis incarnation of Huntress, the daughter of a mobster who turns vigilante, but I still like a number of her appearances. Cementing my decision not to buy this limited series was the lack of any clear indication in the solicitation information about which Huntress this story would be about. At the time, it seemed safe to assume it would be the Helena Bertinelli version of the character rather than Helena Wayne, so I figured why bother.

That was before the debut of the Worlds' Finest title starring Huntress and Power Girl, which followed immediately on the heels of this series. Once I read the first issue of that title and saw that Huntress was once again the daughter of the Dark Knight, I decided to pick up the Huntress trade. And I'm glad I did. This is a solid read with world-traveling adventure and some international bad guys engaged in political intrigue, human trafficking and a number of other vices. Huntress dispatches them quite nicely.

It was also interesting to note that the vagueness of which Huntress this is was not limited to the solicitation information. Throughout the entire collected series, the character is never given a last name. In fact, Levitz seems pretty deliberate about not revealing the central character's origins until the very end, when Huntress seems to be cornered. That's when a friend makes an unexpected appearance to help Huntress out, making it crystal clear which Huntress this is. Of course, by that time, the news of the new Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest titles had been announced and there was no reason to play it coy any longer.

No comments: