Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Sticking with original ideas and concepts

The Twilight Experiment tpb
DC Comics
Creators:
Justin Gray, Jimmy Palmiotti, Juan Santacruz, Jose Luis Roger, Carrie Strachan and Phil Balsman
Release date: 2005


I got this book from a seller on eBay almost three years ago. When I buy out-of-continuity books like this one, especially trades, they often get tossed on a stack to be read when I have a chance. I didn't know anything about this title going in, so I imagine I purchased it because of the writers, Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray.

I don't always like comics written by this frequent writing duo when they tackle established characters. I guess sometimes their idea of what company-owned characters like the Teen Titans members would do or how they'd act in given situations don't always line up with mine. But I have liked a lot of stories this pair has written using their own, original characters. Don't believe me? Check out these previous posts on Hype, Book Smart and Time Bomb, all penned by Palmiotti and Gray.

This collected six-issue miniseries is no exception. It was printed by DC Comics, but takes place in its own universe, not the DCU proper. In this world, there were only a handful of super-powered beings, and when they all destroyed each other, they took a good chunk of Denver, Colo., with them. This story focuses on Rene Doyle, a troubled paramedic who lost most of her family in the Denver battle when she was just a child, and Michael, the super-powered son of one of the heroes who gave her life trying to stop the violence that day. The two meet by chance, but soon find out that not only do they have a lot in common, they may be the world's only hope of preventing another, even greater tragedy.

Another great story by a simply terrific writing duo — at least when they are writing their own, original characters. And there's nothing wrong with that!

No comments: