Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Fun to read; powerful storytelling

Motor Girl Vols. 1 and 2 (Real Life and No Man Left Behind, respectively)
Abstract Studio

Creator: Terry Moore
Release Date: 2017



I am no longer a stranger to Terry Moore. I'd read and heard a lot about his epic "Strangers in Paradise" comic before I ever actually gave it a try. I hemmed and hawed with indecision, but picked up the digest-sized collections a time or two when I'd see them at shops. But they never seemed to have the first volume. One day I decided to take the plunge and just try the series. I tracked down all of the trades on either eBay or Amazon.

What I found was an incredible story about two women, their lives, their friends, their loves, etc. This was very much character-drive writing, and Moore was an excellent artist to boot. There was very little not to love!

To top it all off, not long after I finished reading the then-last trade of "Strangers," it was announced that Moore would be working on another story line titled "Echo." This title, oddly enough, also focused on strong female leads. It also had more of a sci-fi slant to it, while still being firmly grounded in the real world. In fact, late in the title's 30-issue run, it was revealed that "Echo" was set in the same universe as "Strangers" thanks to a common character. I collected that title as singles as they came out and enjoyed every issue.

Not long after "Echo" ended, Moore announced his next title, "Rachel Rising," would have a supernatural slant. I purchased that series in singles, as well, sticking with it well into the upper 20s. I still enjoyed Moore's strong writing, his beautiful artwork and his powerful female leads, even the undead ones, but it began to feel to me like the narrative of "Rachel" was beginning to meander a bit. Look back at some of my past posts and you can read more of my thoughts on Moore's previous titles.

But after I gave up on "Rachel Rising," I didn't heard about any more Terry Moore projects for a while. In fact, I failed to notice when "Motor Girl" was announced or solicited or released. I was happily surprised one day doing my comics order to see a new Terry Moore trade, and decided to give it a try.

I was glad I did. "Motor Girl" is "Sam"antha Locklear, a Marine Corps veteran fresh out of Iraq, where she was captured and tortured by the enemy. Back stateside, she now works in a Nevada desert junk yard where she prefers to be alone — except for the imaginary gorilla she calls Mike, her best friend; her boss, Libby, a grumpy but sweet old lady; and some comical little green men who land in her back yard with "engine trouble." Unfortunately, the arrival of the aliens brings some shadowy industrial/government types nosing around, too. And Sam is suffering from headaches and post-traumatic stress disorder from her ordeal in Iraq.

That first trade was everything I expected it to be. It was funny. It had a sense of drama and mystery. And there was also a sense of heavy foreboding regarding Sam's health. This book was definitely a keeper, and I kept watch for the second trade.

I was surprised to learn the month after I ordered that second trade that a "Motor Girl" omnibus would soon be solicited. That makes this the shortest Moore story I am aware of to date with only 10 issues to wrap up Sam's story. And I can confirm after now having re-read the first trade and reading the second trade that this is an incredible story about yet another strong female lead character.

Both volumes are great reads, and I am happy to recommend that anyone give them a chance. If you've read and enjoyed other Terry Moore Abstract Studio comics, you'll love this one, too. And If you've never tried his comics, this is a great one to start with. His work is deserving of your attention!

No comments: