Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Now That's How You Do a Crossover

"Crisis On Earth X"
The CW's Arrowverse
Release Date: Nov. 27-28, 2017




Previous crossovers within the shows of the Arrowverse of CW shows have had some truly great moments, but this year's megacrossover was by far the best to date. In the past, the individual shows very much retained their own individual feel, leaving each chapter feeling like merely a special episode of "Supergirl," "The Flash," "Legends of Tomorrow" or "Arrow" with cameos, but the overall storyline would feel a bit disjointed.

This year's crossover event felt like four hour-long chapters of a single storyline that happened to star characters from each of the aforementioned shows. Even the intros and outros were specially created to contain elements from all four shows as a unified entity. Without an episode guide to indicate which hour belonged to which series, it was very hard to tell that they weren't a new unified show, which is as it should be for a project like this.

I confess, I haven't been keeping up with "Supergirl" this season; I just haven't had time to watch everything, and that show has fallen by the wayside. But the writers did a great job of briefly bringing viewers up to speed on the relevant status quo of each series without belaboring things, so I knew everything I needed to know about the "Supergirl" participants and where they were at coming into the crossover, without feeling like I was getting unnecessary exposition about the other shows I knew more about.

I also felt like there was a lot of character and plot development in this crossover for the individual series. Viewers of the next episodes of "The Flash," "Arrow" and "Legends" will definitely have some changes from the crossover to be addressed. I didn't see as much change in the characters from "Supergirl," but again, maybe that is because I'm not current on that show right now.

If there was a weak spot in the whole thing, I'd have to say it was the absence of some of the "Legends" cast until the very end. But let's be honest, this was a massive cast of regulars and new characters to service. I can't blame the creators involved for giving some of the "Legends" a little less to do until the big finale.

Now, a lot of what I've read since watching the crossover indicates that it was a lot of work coordinating on the part of the creators, crews and staffs of each show to pull this type of thing off. I'm sure it was. But the effort was well worth it for this kind of finished product. If all of the shows continue on, I hope this can continue to be an annual tradition, and that this quality level can be maintained.

No comments: