Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Not That You Asked, But …

Green Arrow (2011) 35-40
DC Comics
Andrew Kreisberg and Ben Sokolowski, writers
Daniel Sampere, Jonathan Glapion, Gabe Eltaeb and Daniel Henriques, artists



OK, I'm behind on my reading. If you're a regular follower of this blog, that isn't news to you.

So why am I talking about these issues that are nearly a year old? Since the launch of the New 52, Green Arrow has been hit or miss with me, a miss more often than not. I talked more about that here. And I also raised the hope that the return of Andrew Kreisberg to the title might mean an upswing in the title's likability for me. Thus, here is the post where I answer that burning question I left you all hanging with.

Kreisberg and scripter/co-plotter Ben Sokolowski continue the trend of bringing elements from the hit CW show "Arrow" into the mix. They keep Diggle, introduced in a previous arc, and have added other television show elements such as Felicity Smoak. Katana, too. I like "Arrow," but I don't want my monthly dose of Green Arrow comics to too closely copy the television program. Well, that isn't what Kreisberg and Sokolowski are doing here. These characters aren't exactly the same as their TV show counterparts.

Also, Kreisberg and Sokolowski have re-introduced elements from past comic incarnations of Green Arrow, helping to further differentiate the comic from the TV continuity. The setting, for one, is Seattle, not Star City or Starling City. This story arc, "The Kingdom," also introduces the New 52 version of Mia Dearden and brings back Tommy Merlin, now a dark archer named Merlyn. Further cementing this continuity as different from "Arrow" is the inclusion of a number of DCU guest stars, including Lex Luthor and Batman from Justice League and Arsenal from the New 52 title he shares with Red Hood.

All of that adds up to a very enjoyable story arc that gives me renewed hope for the Green Arrow title. I still have the two-month Convergence titles to read, but this creative team seems to finally have gotten this title on track, reminding me why I like the GA character and making me look forward to each new issue of his title.

But then I remembered that the creative team once again changes with the issues post-Convergence. I hated the frequent creative team changes on this title before. And it looks like they haven't stopped. Maybe DC doesn't want me to like this title. I swear I'm about to give up trying to like it. But hey, if you get the chance, pick up these issues or the likely trade collecting them. This story, and this creative team, at least, are worth the price.

No comments: