Tuesday, May 28, 2013

It's Interesting, But Not Quite Cream Of The Crop

The New 52! Wonder Woman tpb 1: Blood
DC Comics
Brian Azzarello, writer
Cliff Chiang and Tony Akins, artists




The New 52! debut hit about the time I was deciding to seriously cut back on some of my comic spending. I knew I wanted to keep getting/trying out the new versions of my favorites: Aquaman, Nightwing and Green Arrow. I also decided to try a handful of the other titles I was pretty sure I was going to like. I've stuck with some and was proven wrong on others. Then in August 2012, when those 52 new No. 1 issues came out, I weakened in my resolve a little and tried a few extra titles I hadn't preordered. Wonder Woman No. 1 was one of those last-minute buys.

I've never thought of Wonder Woman as a character just for girls; I grew up watching her on "Super Friends" cartoons and in the live-action Lynda Carter series. I enjoyed and still own some of her adventures in pre-Crisis comics. And I absolutely loved George Perez's 1986 relaunch of her title after the Crisis On Infinite Earths changed her history. In fact, comics-wise, that Perez relaunch is still one of my all-time favorite Wonder Woman eras. I think the top Wonder Woman spot for me, however, has to go to Greg Rucka's fantastic run on the book just prior to Infinite Crisis. I love how what he did updated several elements from previous runs while still respecting what had come before. That run (Wonder Woman vol. 2 Nos. 195-226) was the absolute pinnacle of the character for me.

And to be honest, that is at least a part of why I opted not to pick up Wonder Woman's New 52 debut initially. Other writers have had good runs, but none had surpassed Rucka and Perez; why not quit while I was ahead in collecting the best of the best of Wonder Woman comics? But because those two had handled her so well, I weakened, hoping for more greatness.

I find Azzarello's take on Diana and her mythos different enough to actually warrant a reboot, unlike some other New 52 titles that relaunched for no discernible story reason. And it actually is a very interesting approach to Diana, Paradise Island and the gods and goddesses that are so much a part of the Amazons' heritage. And Cliff Chiang's art is gorgeous, as always; he is one of the all-time great comic artists. If I was still buying as many comic titles each month as I did a few years ago before my daughter was born, I would likely continue to pick up this title and enjoy it a lot. But as interesting as Azzarello's take on Wonder Woman is, this isn't the "iconic" Wonder Woman for my tastes. This won't replace the Perez or Rucka runs for me.

No comments: