Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Perhaps I Spoke Too Soon

Green Arrow 9
DC Comics
Ann Nocenti, writer
Harvey Tolibao, artist




I defended the DCnU version of Green Arrow here based on the first story arc; I thought it was a different but still good take on the character and especially enjoyed the technology-junkie, celebrity-craving villains. The next arc had some slight changes in the creative department, and those changes seemed a little for the worse because the story seemed a little lacking, as discussed here. But further creative changes were coming, I said with hope in my heart.

Frequent readers on this blog may have noticed that I haven't reviewed the title since. I'm still buying and reading the title as I enjoy the character, but I'm not liking the latest creative changes at all. The art used to be crisp and clean, and the covers, like the one from this issue by Howard Porter, still are. But the interior artwork on this title is less crisp, very sketchy and often hard to follow. Mostly the art is inconsistent as in one panel Green Arrow will seem to be standing on his feet like a normal human being, but then the next panel will make him look like maybe his knees are double-jointed and he's actually standing on his calves -- either that or his feet and/or boots have inexplicably stretched beyond recognition.

And the plot isn't much better, IMHO. I get that a new writer might mean a change in direction, but a wholesale change in characterization is a bit much. Green Arrow likes the ladies, I get that. Sometimes he even likes ladies who are dangerous. But this plot has him attacked by and then shacking up with three blondes, ending up in Alaska and presumed dead, losing control of his companies as a result of his disappearance, meeting the blondes' whacked-out dad, the mastermind behind the genetic engineering plot that spawned the three blondes and several animal-monstrosity hybrids, and the plot meanders between fight scenes and bedroom scenes for four issues, all the while making the supposed hero of the tale out to be a stupid, careless jerk.

As I said, I've still been buying and reading this title, and I already have the next few issues ordered, but I am NOT enjoying this title. So I'm not going to order this one in the future unless there is yet another creative change. The cost just isn't worth it for a book I'm not enjoying in the HOPE that it might get better.

No comments: