Friday, August 13, 2010

Kevin Smith Bashing By Proxy

As the header implies, I'm going to send you somewhere else first, then please come on back here and read the rest of my thoughts on Kevin Smith's Widening Gyre.

You're back? Good. Thought I'd lost you there for a minute.

By and large, I have to agree with this guy's critique of Kevin Smith's work of late. I think he might be a tad harsh when slamming Walter Flanagan's art. As I haven't seen these books first-hand, I'm just basing my assessment on the panels Chris Sims reproduced to make his points, but they look pretty good to me. But writing like that has to make you smack your forehead and wonder what the writer is thinking.

I like some of Kevin Smith's films, and I've liked some of his comics. His run on the relaunched Daredevil back in the late 90s wasn't bad. His Green Arrow was pretty good. And I really like the character of Onomotopia as first presented.

Cacophony was not a steller follow-up with the character, however, hitting a VERY low point with the Joker anal sex thing. Now this? How can he think Batman fans would like this? How could Batman fans like this?

I opted to trade-wait when Widening Gyre was first announced. Sims' comments lead me to think I'd be much happier skipping the trade on this one, too.

And that makes me sad.

No comments: