Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Life As Usual ... Obstacles and Some Good People

Problems are so much easier to deal with when you have a little help along the way. As I alluded to in a previous post, the transmission went out in my pickup -- more specifically, the clutch burned up because of a transmission leak I failed to notice. Had to get around for almost two weeks with just my wife's car for the both of us. Wasn't fun, but it could've been worse, and the transmission shop we took the truck to did a great job for us. I admit it, I'm not the most car-minded of guys, but the staff at this shop didn't make me feel like an idiot, they got us fixed up and running again, and they stood behind the work when we discovered one seal that wasn't quite tightened all the way and took the pickup back for that. Yeah, they didn't get one seal right, but everyone makes mistakes. These guys admitted to the error, fixed it without charging us and were still very gracious about it.

Next problem: I think I've mentioned before that I currently get the bulk of my comics, trade paperbacks and action figures through a mail order company. They are so great, it is unbelievable. Apparently, the shipper has lost my most recent month's worth of stuff. I get e-mails from the company and the shipper when an order has been sent. The e-mail from the shipper has an estimated delivery date. I know its just an ESTIMATED delivery date, but they are usually right on the money, and sometimes even a day early. Not this time.

So I tried to track the package online -- isn't technology great -- well, yeah, when the system works, it is. The shipper's tracking software recorded the box leaving the company and going to its first stopover. Leaving that place and arriving at another destination along the way here. And finally, leaving that location. Then nothing. The trail stopped two days before the delivery date, four days before I finally logged on to check things out.

So I called the shipper. After talking in circles with a computer for several minutes, I got to a person who promised to look into the problem. I talked to reps from the shipper three more times, each time having to supply additional information about what was in my package and getting no answers as to what had become of any of it. Finally, the last exchange with them resulted in the shipper needing a specific packing list of the contents of the package. I order stuff all of the time and the company sends me whatever is available on the date the package is sent. I never know exactly what is in the package until I open it. So I called the company to have them get in touch with the shipper and provide a packing list.

Here's why the company I order from is so great. They said they would handle things from that point. If they and the shipper together could not locate my package within about a week, thecompany would re-ship all the items they could. (Remember, they didn't lose the package, so I didn't know if I would just be out everything or not.) They also told me that should this happen again (we all hope not, but things occasionally go "not according to plan"), to call them, the company, first and let them deal with the shipper.

So, it's too soon for this whole thing to be resolved yet. And no matter what, I'm going to be getting my comics late. But I'm more certain now that I will eventually get them. That's a good feeling. Thanks guys.

No comments: