Tuesday, November 21, 2017

You want to talk dark? Now this is dark!

Dark Knights one-shots
DC Comics
Release dates: October 2017 onward



Short post today, but I had a couple thoughts to share about the Dark Knights: Metal one-shots I've read to date. As of this writing, I have read Dark Knights: Metal No. 3 and the various crossovers and one-shots through Flash No. 33 and The Drowning.

Overall, I'm liking the series and looking forward to how it is all going to play out. Of the various tie-in crossover titles, they've been decent; the more you care about the characters involved, the better they read, but that's usually the case with tie-in titles. I'm sad to say that The Drowning has been the weakest of the one-shots so far. It was the first one I pre-ordered because the title indicated that it would be Aqua-centric. And it was an OK story, just not quite as good as some of the others.

But dark story lines seem to be all the buzz these days, how dark is too dark, is dark good or bad, etc. I'm not here to say that just because something is dark it's automatically either good or bad. Depends on the story, and whether or not it works for me as a reader. Let me tell you, this series earns the label "dark," to be sure.

The Red Death and The Devastator were the two most strong. Want to know just how dark these books are? I read a number of them in one sitting. I came away entertained and satisfied that I had gotten my money's worth. But after reading about six of these Dark Knights titles one after another in one evening, I came away feeling a little depressed. That's how dark these books are. And I have not yet received my copy of The Batman Who Laughs, which I fully expect to be the darkest yet.

That's my two-cents' worth.

No comments: