Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Once More Unto The Breach

The Comic Book Podcast Companion (2009)
TwoMorrows Publishing

Eric Houston, writer



Another prose volume discussed in another short post this week, but this was another great find.

I first mentioned my interest in podcasts, particularly comics-themed podcasts, a while back. I started with Word Balloon posts through Newsarama, and my appreciation grew from there. For a few of my favorites, you need look no further than the listing to the left.

It's hard to imagine too many fans who aren't already familiar with podcasts. But my own interest is only a few years old at this time, and new fans discover the joy of graphic literature all the time (I hope), so the topic bears another hashing, and this tome gives me the excuse.

Eric Houston explores the world of podcasting by interviewing the creators of several popular shows. They discuss how they got into podcasting, how they go about producing their shows, and what they think of the state of comics in general. Along the way, there are also some creator interviews, reflecting the penchant for comics podcasters to frequently interview creators. And there's plenty of art, putting faces to many of the familiar voices of podcasting.

I found the book an interesting look behind the scenes of some of my favorite shows and also found a few new shows to try. I borrowed this book from the library as it didn't seem like something I would return to again and again. Still, I'm glad I checked it out, and freely recommend it to any of you who haven't already given it a try.

No comments: