Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Judge The Complete Story, Not A Piece Of It

Saucer Country Vols. 1 & 2: Run/The Reticulan Candidate
DC Vertigo

Paul Cornell, writer
Ryan Kelly, artist




Saucer Country
has been on my radar from time to time over the last year or so since its debut in 2012. I was curious about it, but didn't know much about what to expect and had never picked up an issue. Then a few months ago, on a comics trip with my nephew, I found a good deal on the first trade and decided to take the plunge "down the rabbit hole" and give the series a try.

The story focuses on New Mexico Gov. Arcadia Alvarado, a popular politician on the cusp of announcing her candidacy for the presidency of the United States. Along the way, however, she and her ex-husband, Michael, are abducted by aliens. The book was described in early reviews as a cross between "The X-Files" and "The West Wing," both shows I enjoy.

But I have to be honest, while I liked the premise of the series, I was undecided about the execution after reading the first six issues included in the first trade, Run. The art isn't bad; Ryan Kelly does a good job illustrating the main characters, keeping their appearances consistent from image to image, and making the more grounded scenes feel like the world we are all familiar with. He also does a good job with the more fantastical elements and the rare scenes where the two are combined to hauntingly creepy effect. And overall, I liked Paul Cornell's story; he is another writer whose work on the iconic company characters hasn't always lined up with my personal tastes, but I can better appreciate his writer's voice on his own original characters.

The problem was not feeling like I really understood the underlying story that was unfolding involving the aliens and the various conspiracy theories that come in and out of the narrative. I wasn't always certain exactly what was happening in some of the more fantastical "remembered" scenes characters would relate after the fact.

Some research into the series told me that there was only one more trade; the series had been cancelled early, presumably due to low sales. Finding out the series had been cancelled early made me worry there would never be any kind of resolution to the Saucer Country tale, but the parts I liked, I liked enough to take a chance on a series I'd already read half of (or so I thought). So I started hunting for the second trade, hopefully at a reasonable price to assuage my uncertainty.

Turns out that second trade, The Reticulan Candidate, collects issues 7-14 of the series, so a little more than half remained. And it continued to be a good read, although I still felt I wasn't always "getting" every scene. And truthfully, every single plot thread is not explained by the end of the series. As in the real world when it comes to alien visitation, some of the questions raised are left hanging, unanswered, leaving both readers and characters questioning. But I'm happy to report that the series does have a satisfying ending, and many answers are provided. Some portions of the tale are explained and finally fleshed out, making it clear that the portions that had left me feeling confused before were deliberately crafted that way. The exact events that transpired were left vague by design, not poor writing or poor comprehension on my part.

I'm glad I took the chance on the second volume of the series, and if the premise sounds even remotely interesting to you, I suggest you pick these two trades up. That's why I'm deliberately keeping my descriptions a little more vague this time out than I usually do. I don't want to ruin anything for the next reader who might also enjoy this series.

None of this is to say that folks who read an issue of a title and drop it because they don't like it should have just stuck with the book and it would have all made sense. This was a happy example where that strategy worked for me, and I'm glad it did. But no one knows your reading likes and dislikes better than you, and if you're not liking a story, you should move on if that is your choice. Life is too short to waste reading anything you're not enjoying.

But maybe, some folks on the Internet who bash a story as incomprehensible after reading only the first part of a four- or six-part story, should reserve judgment a little longer. Give the creators a chance to reveal their full vision before pronouncing something garbage. It would certainly make the web a friendlier, happier place for us all to come together.

No comments: