Friday, September 14, 2012

It's Not Bad, But It's Not The Original

Lord of the Jungle 1-2
Dynamite Entertainment
Arvid Nelson, writer
Roberto Castro, artist




This series is starting out by retelling the origin of Tarzan, adapting the novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs. The first issue focuses on Lord and Lady Greystoke, how they came to be stranded in the jungles of Africa and how they died, leaving behind their only son to be adopted by Kala, a female ape whose own child has just been killed. The second issue moves things along to the point that Jane Porter, her father and their other companions come to be marooned in the same spot several years later.

I usually find that comic adaptations of works first created in other media usually pale compared to the originals, be they movies or books or something else. Take the characters and treat them faithfully while telling new, original tales that continue their respective stories, and I'm right there with you. But retelling what has been done before tends to feel simply like a retelling. If I want to revisit the original novel or film or show, I can do that. I don't need someone to try to re-create it for me.

Again, these issues aren't bad, they just aren't as great as I'd hoped they'd be. I'm left hoping they wrap up the retelling quickly and move on to something original before I lose interest completely.

No comments: