Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Name. The Name Doomed It.

I don't always pay that much attention to story arc titles. Some, like "Batman and Son" from a few years ago, can tell you instantly what the upcoming tale is all about; some, like "Without Fear," play on phrases or traits associated with a specific character; some, like "Shadow Puppets" may even be somewhat cliche and appear over and over again; and some, like "Fruit of the Earth" can just leave you scratching your head and wondering. The saddest title of all, though, is one which instantly makes you anticipate greatness that the following read doesn't quite live up to.

I have always liked the Spider-Man story, "Fearful Symmetry," by J.M. DeMatteis and Mike Zeck. What's that? You're not familiar with that story? Sure you are, but maybe you know it by it's more popular title — "Kraven's Last Hunt." Fearful Symmetry is the original title DeMatteis gave the story, according to his foreword in the recent hardback collection, and that name DOES appear in the original issues, but Marvel editorial thought Kraven's Last Hunt sounded better.

Whatever you call this story, it is a great one! I bought and read the original issues when they first came out in 1987. The story was considered special enough at the time, that it's six parts were told across all three Spider-Man titles at the time — a common enough thing today, but unheard of then. The individual issues of the story were Amazing Spider-Man Nos. 293 and 294, Spectacular Spider-Man Nos. 131 and 132 and Web of Spider-Man Nos. 31 and 32, and I still own all six of the original issues I bought back then, though several repeat readings have left them looking a little worn.

DeMatteis and Zeck take what previously had been just another Spider-Man villain and made him great. They portrayed Kraven the Hunter as a tortured soul who has finally reached his end. He sets out to capture Spider-Man, bury him in the ground and replace him. Not satisfied just to defeat his foe, Kraven seeks to out-Spider-Man Spider-Man, to be better at superheroing that Spidey. To that end, Kraven captures another Spider-foe, Vermin. Then, when Spider-Man returns from the grave, Kraven savors his victory with a finality that was truly shocking for comics at the time. The story plays out on a psychological level even moreso than it does on a physical one, and it makes for a very powerful tale. So much so that I recently decided to shell out the big bucks required to purchase a copy of the new hardcover reprinting of the story.

Now, I haven't been following Spider-Man regularly. I've bought Spider books from time to time when one catches my eye, but his tales are more a dalliance for me than true devotion. But I DO keep my eyes open for what might be entertaining Spider reads.

When I was purchasing the hardcover reprint of Kraven's Last Hunt, I also learned there was a more recent softcover collection called Spider-Man: Kraven's First Hunt. The back cover shows a woman with a gun flanked by what appears to be Daredevil and Spider-Man chained and suspended from the ceiling upside down. So, OK, I assume that they have brought back Kraven the Hunter in the form of a female, likely the original's daughter based on her apparent age in the image. Not a reach for comics. I also assumed that with a title like "Kraven's First Hunt," this story would hearken back to that favorite tale from a few decades ago. I imagine it goes without saying that I further assumed that the story would actually live up to that title.

Most of those assumptions were proven wrong, at least to some degree, once I read "First Hunt." That image does not depict exactly what I thought it did. While the woman shown is the daughter of Kraven, there is more to her story than merely that. And finally, while the story isn't bad, it fails to live up to the name given to it, at least in my estimation.

To be fair, this trade, which collects Amazing Spider-Man Nos. 564-567 and portions of Spider-Man: Brand New Day Extra No. 1, ends on a cliffhanger and is NOT a complete story unto itself. I am mildly curious about where the story would head from the point where this trade leaves off, but I'm not sure I was happy enough with this beginning to seek out the next trade. I'm curious, but hardly dying to know, certainly not sure I care enough to plunk down money for another trade or costly back issues.

As always, if there is anyone who disagrees, dissenting opinions are welcome here. Opinions are not absolutes, mine are not always right, and they are rarely carved in stone. Anyone out there care to defend "First Hunt" and share why they think it DOES live up to it's name?

No comments: